W for Wheat Dosa - My favourite things to counter COVID-19 stress

(This post is part of the A to Z Challenge. I am writing this month on activities that keep me refreshed during these depressing days. It's Day 23 today.)

Dosa is a popular breakfast item. Though this pancake is a south Indian dish, it's much sought-after across India as well. It's made out of batter usually of rice and black gram. Dosa is very similar to crêpe, which is of French origin.

However, what I like to make, and have for breakfast is the wheat version. A very basic recipe would be this. Make the batter by adding water to a few scoops of wheat flour, until the mixture becomes viscous without any lumps.

Then add a little bit of salt. Spread a thin layer of cooking oil on a pan and let it get heated.  Spread a ladle full of the batter in a circular shape on the pan. Flip the dosa multiple times so that both sides get cooked well and evenly. It takes a few minutes. That's it.

What I have noticed is that wheat dosa is well known only in Kerala. Some of my non-Kerala friends haven't even heard about it. What about you?

Subscribe to receive free email updates: