Z for Zen - My favourite things to counter COVID-19 stress

(This post is part of the A to Z Challenge. This is the 26th and it concludes this series, wherein I wrote on activities or ideas that keep me refreshed during these depressing days.)

For about a month now, I have been exploring Zen, a Japanese lifestyle that emphasises simplicity, straightforwardness, peace, calmness, enlightenment, equanimity, meditation, etc. The first time I looked up the Internet, I was drowned in the ocean of information on the subject.

There are multiple aspects to Zen which I am still getting myself acquainted with. I can't call myself as someone who is fully into it. But I am reading up about it and practising some elements of it.

An important aspect of Zen is meditation (common to many other practices similar to Zen) in which breathing is the key. But here is it not the strenuous form of breathing, instead, one "observes breathing" by counting inhaling and exhaling.

Another aspect of Zen is being in tune with reality. and coming to terms with what is present now, and understanding it with calmness. It helps to resolve any problems by addressing it directly.

Being in harmony with nature is another element. It's not always possible to be 100% in tune with nature. But I guess, the aim to do as best as we can.

For me, Zen is just another method to be in the present, to be calm, purposeful, at peace with the surroundings, both people and things. And this is a time, like never before when we have been forced to look inwards, reevaluate our priorities, our repurpose our journey of life.

Subscribe to receive free email updates: