Y for Yesteryear - My favourite things to counter COVID-19 stress

(This post is part of the A to Z Challenge. I am writing this month on activities that keep me refreshed during these depressing days. It's Day 25 today.)

As you would have noticed, in most of the 24 posts this month, I have gone back in time, reminiscing school or college days. In fact, I have noticed many fellow bloggers too recalling their past.

Memories of yesteryear are comforting, aren't they?

(By the way, though I keep seeing people using the word 'yesteryears', what I have learnt is that it's always 'yesteryear' whether it refers to the past year or many years previous to that.)

So, all these days, I have been watching clips of some great tennis and cricket matches from the past, old classic movies, some well-made documentaries, listening to radio programmes (like in my school days), including old songs.

A STRESS BUSTER

A research paper published in the National Center for Biotechnology Information website, says, "Nostalgia maintains psychological comfort".

An article in Huffington Post quotes Krystine Batcho, Ph.D., professor of psychology at Le Moyne College in New York, saying, "Any change good or bad is very stressful. So what nostalgia enables you to do both emotionally and cognitively is keep track of what has remained stable, giving you some sense of continuity that grounds you."

In another article in Huffington Post, Clay Routledge, Ph.D., associate professor of psychology at North Dakota State University, says, "Nostalgia makes people feel loved and valued and increases perceptions of social support when people are lonely."

In the same article, Erica Hepper, Ph.D., a lecturer in the School of Psychology at the University of Surrey in England, explains, "When we experience nostalgia, we tend to feel happier, have higher self-esteem, feel closer to loved ones and feel that life has more meaning."

THE ONLY HOUSE I HAVE SEEN IN DREAM

Even though I have lived in many cities, I have never seen in a dream any of the houses I have lived in except the one I stayed in when I was in school. Sometimes, I have woken up thinking I am in that same house. I have wondered why none of the other houses come in my dream!

Are these pandemic-triggered hard times taking us back to yesteryear, leading us to find solace in the remembrances of the past?

What about you? Do you feel like going back to those school and college days, do you relive those good old days?

Subscribe to receive free email updates: