Inspiration - Mary Kom becomes first female boxer to win 6 gold medals at World Championships.


Mary Kom has done it again!
Mary Kom defeated Ukraine's Hanna Okhota in the final of the Women's World Boxing Championships to clinch the gold medal in the 48kg category and her sixth world title at the K.D. Jadhav Indoor Stadium on Saturday.

Mary Kom is now the most successful boxer in the tournament's history and won the gold exactly 16 years after she had won it for the first time.

"First of all, I would like to thank all my fans. Thank you guys, I don't have anything to give you. What I can give you is a gold for the country. They came especially for me and the Indian contingent. Today, I was a little bit emotional because for the last few years, I was not able to fight in 48 kg category," an emotional Mary said after the bout.

Mary, who went over her weight category to clinch a 51kg bronze at the London Olympics, previously clinched the World Championship gold on five occasions -- 2002, 2005, 2006, 2008, 2010 -- besides bagging a silver on her debut in 2001.

"I had to jump to other categories. The effort was very challenging for me. Because of your love and support, I hope to qualify for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. I wasn't able to qualify for Rio Games. I am still suffering.

"I can easily give a gold in the 48 kg category, but 51 kg, it's difficult because other boxers may have a height advantage," Mary added while breaking into tears.

Mary is now the most successful boxer in the tournament's history with 6 gold medals .

Subscribe to receive free email updates: