Inspiration -Doctor who runs free tiffin service for the elderly aims to build a home for them.



Meet the man who wakes up every morning with an unshakable resolve to feed close to 200 helpless senior citizens, free of cost. These elderly people are unable to put together a decent meal for themselves due to numerous reasons but Uday Modi's tiffin service ensures they get a decent meal every single day. It all started when Dr. Modi moved to Bhayandar, Mumbai from a small village called Amreli in Gujarat to practice alternative medicine in the city of dreams.

"One of my patients showed up at my door. He must have been over 70 years with a chronically ill wife at home. This couple was old, poor without even 10 rupees to buy a vada pav He said he needed food, it moved me and that is when I decided to feed the needy elderly for nothing in return," shared Dr. Modi.The tiffin usually contains 6 chappatis and a curry along with dal and rice. Sundays are special therefore home-made dessert and farsan (a Gujarati type of savoury snack) also join the parcel. "We have two tempo and 4 dealer vans that help in transporting these tiffins all around the locality. I work as an artist in serials and TV shows, my additional income along with help and support from family and friends suffices. However, I am on a constant lookout for ways to help more and more people every day," noted Dr. Modi.

Feeding 200 people, that too from your own pocket, doesn't come easy. Dr. Modi has a family of his own - a college going daughter, a son who is studying computer science and a supportive wife whom he calls his inspiration and courage. Close to 3 lakh rupees is spent every month to ensure regular food supply to these abandoned elderly. Despite all the challenges, Dr. Modi and his family are undeterred and more than committed towards their unconditional seva to the aged. "My chest swells with pride when my kids come back and give me tiny bits of their savings to be put in for the seva. Lots of people come forward and support, I am sure it will go on," Dr. Modi shared.

In a city where people come to realise gigantic dreams, Dr. Modi has only one desire, "I want to build a Dikra nu ghar for these old people - a home like their own son's place where everything is taken care of not only just food.

Subscribe to receive free email updates: